Danti, a medicinal plant known as Wild Croton, is traditionally famous for curing many diseases. Widely grown in the sub-Himalayan region, the Danti plant is spotted everywhere, from Khasi hills to Kashmir. States of West Bengal, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, and some parts of peninsular India also witness the Danti plant's growth. Danti leaves have steroids, terpenoids, and flavonoids. Danti helps in the ailment of constipation, joint pain, wounds, piles, etc. The medicinal properties of the Danti plant work as a blessing for the gut as it enhances the bowel movement and excretes out the parasites and foreign bodies from the stomach. With its immune-modulatory properties, Danti increases human immunity. It is also useful in curing inflammation, rheumatism, fistula, etc. It acts as a shield against cancer by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells. Danti root or leaves powder and Danti seed oil is either ingested or applied externally after a proper purification treatment of Shodhana as per Ayurveda. Danti is a plant-based medicine and consumed as root powder, leaves powder, or seed oil, applied to the affected area.
What are the other names of Danti?
Danti is familiar with various other names, including Baliospermummontanum, Wild Croton, KaduHaralu, Danti, Neervalam, KondaAmudamu, etc.
Elucidation of Danti Plant Breed
Danti is a plant that majorly grows in a shady and humid area. It is a monoecious and small shrub. The average height of the Danti plant is approximately 1.8 meters. The branched plants have two subdivided parts. The herbaceous bunch of grass that is present on the upper part has leaves with few nodes or bumps, and curved teeth. The flower plant bear is unisexual and has inflorescence along its axis. The calyx of the male flower is round and long with a membrane-like structure. Seeds are smooth and contain a lot of oil. Seeds and roots have a purgative nature. Only the leaves and roots powder and seed oil contemplated appropriate to use medicinal use.
Ayurvedic properties of Danti plant
Ayurveda classifies any substance based on five criteria, Rasa or Taste, Guna or Physical Property, Virya or Potency, Karma or Pharmacological activity, and Vipaka or metabolic property. Danti possesses a pungent (Katu) taste. In terms of physical property or Guna, Danti is said to be Heavy (Guru) and Sharp (Tikshna). The potency level of Danti is termed as Ushna as per Ayurveda, which also means hot. The Vipaka or metabolic property of the Dantiplant is termed as Katu or Pungent. As per the Karma or pharmacological activity of Danti, it is known to cure Kapha or Pitta Dosha in the body.
What is the procedure of Shodhana in Danti processing?
Shodhana is the purification procedure of Danti roots, which reduces the toxins in it. Plant roots coats with Pippali powder and honey paste in the first step. The plant roots are then swaddled in the grass and kept in sunlight with mud immersion.
Use of Danti as per Ancient texts
Danti, as per the ancient shlokas, was used to cure itching, inflammation, hemorrhoids, abdominal pain, bleeding, parasitic infection, and leprosy. LaghuDanti, the other variety of Danti, is proved to be beneficial for facile urination and purgation. Kapha dosha is also reduced along with poisoning by Danti.
Medicinal Properties of Danti plant
Danti, since ancient times, is considered very useful for various diseases and problems. It possesses a lot of properties which help in curing many diseases:-
● The laxative property of Danti is proven to help manage constipation. The stool or excreta passage eases out with its dose. Ayurveda used Danti for curing constipation and removing the parasitic worms from the gut.
● Purgative Nature or Bhedna/ Kriminghna or Anti worm property possessed by Danti helps manage constipation and kill intestinal worms.
● Danti, due to its diuretic property, accelerates the urine production, which results in removing harmful toxins from the body.
● Immunomodulatory property in Danti plants enhances immunity, making the immune system stronger and building a defense system against various external organisms.
● The anti-inflammatory property reduces joint pain and inflammation.
● Danti leaves have Vata balancing properties that decrease the joint pain and swelling, piles mass, and fistula.
● Antioxidant and anti-microbial properties help in healing the wound and protecting it from pus formation.
How is Danti beneficial for the human digestive system?
Danti helps in curing constipation; thus, it also aids Piles' mass. The medicinal plant flushes out the worms and parasites of the gut, making the digestive health better. Here are the ways Danti is a blessing for digestive health.
As per Ayurveda
Ailment for Constipation
Removing Piles Mass
Controlling gut worms
According to Ayurveda, two main causes of constipation are Vata and Pitta, which happens due to bad food and sleeping habits. Bhedna or the purgative nature of Danti reduces the Vata and Pitta dosha of the human body leading to excretion of waste.
Arsh or Piles is a consequence of constipation. Due to constipation, rectum veins swell up and cause piles to mass. Since Danti powder helps to cure constipation, it also helps in reducing the piles mass.
Ayurveda names the gut worms as Krimi that increases due to weak digestion in our gut. The digestive fire of the gut refines with the intake of Danti powder, destroying worm growth. Deepan, Pachan, and Krimighna properties of Danti powder works wonder in this case.
As per Science
Ailment for Constipation
Removing Piles Mass
Controlling gut worms
Danti possesses some strong laxative property. The constipation is reduced and managed by the consumption of Danti due to its laxative properties. The ease in bowel movement helps the excreta and stool to pass smoothly through the passage, cleaning the body.
Modern science believes that the anti-inflammatory properties of Danti help in managing piles. Danti, if applied to the affected area, can reduce the inflammation on the anus or rectum area. This helps in providing relief to a piles patient.
Worm infections and parasitic disease risk is reduced using Danti. Danti has an anthelmintic property, which reduces the worm activity and kills the body's bad parasites.
How is Danti beneficial for Joint pains and swelling?
There are two theories, one given by Ayurvedic study and the other followed by current scientific study.
As per Ayurveda
Danti has some extraordinary Vata balancing properties, according to Ayurveda. Joint pain or swelling is the consequence of a Vata imbalance in the body. Hence, Danti root powder, if applied to the affected area, reduces the imbalance of Vata in the body resulting in the ailment of joint pain.
As per the current scientific study
Modern or Contemporary science believes in using Danti seed oil for curing joint pain. The oil applied to the affected part or region showcase its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. The reduction in pain and joint swelling comes from the above-stated properties of the Danti plant.
What are the other major benefits of Danti?
Undoubtedly, Danti is a wonder plant-based medicine that is used substantially for digestive health and joint pains. However, there are some other health benefits of the Danti plant too:-
● Manage Infections: - Danti holds some anti-microbial and antibacterial properties. These properties manage many infections and kill microorganisms inhibiting their growth.
● Cure Skin Allergy: - Danti cures skin allergy and reactions restraining histamine hormone from releasing. Danti substantially reduces the chemical substances in our body for curing the allergy.
● Improves immunity: - Immune System is strengthened with the help of Danti as it increases the cell functioning of the body. The Danti roots and seeds' immunomodulatory properties prevent any foreign particles' attack and create a defense system against many unwanted infectious organisms.
● Increase Urine production: - Diuretic properties of Danti fasten the urine production resulting in higher toxin removal. Kidney Stone risk also lowers with the Danti plant.
● Reduces inflammation: - Anti-inflammatory properties of the Danti plant reduce the inflammation. The chemical responsible for inflammation in the body is Nitric oxide, which is inhibited by the use of Danti.
● Cures parasitic infections: - Anthelmintic properties of Danti reduce the worm attack and infections on the body. The parasitic or worm activity is suppressed and inhibited with the use of Danti, followed by curing of the infection.
● Recover ruptured membranes: - Danti leaves possess high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It acts as a preventive measure for tissue dissolution and mucous membrane rupture. The anti-microbial properties of Danti also cure the wound infections leading to the ailment.
Treating diseases/health problems using Danti
Danti is used in treatment methods of different diseases from scientific and Ayurvedic point of view:
● Dental Problems
As per the modern scientific evidence available, Danti does not hold any importance for curing dental health problems. However, more scientific studies are currently on the run to prove this fact.
Ayurveda professes that Danti is good for Dental problems. Danti makes a reduction in inflammation and gum infection by managing the Pitta imbalance of the body. Anti-inflammatory properties or Sotthhar is a quick healer for major dental problems. Bad breathe problems can also be curbed by chewing a few Danti leaves.
● Abdominal Problems
The modern Contemporary Science fails to prove the use of Danti in the ailment of abdominal problems. However, the use of Danti is prevalent in Abdominal disease cures. The scientific evidence remains short when it comes to proving Danti as medicine for gut or digestion problems.
Danti, as per Ayurveda, is a blessing for abdominal patients. Poor digestion, low appetite, or gas formation are easily cured using Danti. Ayurveda claims that the imbalance of Pitta Dosha leads to abdominal problems. However, Danti balances Ushna and Pitta, enhancing the appetite, improving the digestion, and relieving all abdominal diseases.
The scientific evidence in the field of modern contemporary science remains short of proving the role of Danti for Jaundice management. Still, it is used at various places for curing jaundice.
Pitta Dosha of the body is the major reason for jaundice. Pitta Dosha leads to enhanced body temperature, skin discoloration, and poor digestion. Danti manages the Pitta Dosha with its Pitta and Ushna balancing properties leading to better digestion. The enhanced digestive health, in return, helps in reducing the risk of jaundice.
● Fistula Treatment
The modern Contemporary Science agrees to the benefits of Danti for fistula treatment. The external application of Danti manages fistula with its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. The pain and inflammation caused by fistula are reduced with the help of Danti, followed by reducing the fistula symptoms.
Fistula is a disease caused due to imbalanced Pitta, resulting in poor eating habits and sleep deprivation. Danti balances the Pitta reducing the risk of fistula. Moreover, anti-inflammatory or Sothhar property of Danti reduces the pus formation around the anus resulting in relieving from the fistula.
Precautionary measures to follow while using Danti in various ailments
Digestive or Gut health
Danti is beneficial for gut health; however, some precautions are a must before using this medicinal plant:-
● The modern Contemporary Science advises a careful use of Danti as it is a bit purgative and hydragogue.
● Breastfeeding women should avoid the use of Danti or consult a doctor before taking it.
● People suffering from cardiovascular disease or heart problems are directed to avoid Danti. In an urgent case, the consultation of a doctor is a must.
● Diabetic patients are also advised not to take Danti or consult a doctor before ingesting the same.
● Pregnant women are not advised to take Danti as per the scientific study. In some cases, they should consult the doctor before taking it.
Joint pain or swelling
In case of Joint pain and swelling, both Ayurvedic study and modern Contemporary Science study claims different precautions which need to be followed before taking Danti: -
● Modern Contemporary Science state that the Danti roots or seeds should be processed as per the Sodhana procedure before use. The toxins which may interfere needs to be removed with the purification procedure of Danti.
● With minimal evidence, the Ayurveda advises to consult a doctor or avoid using Danti if there is some skin allergy on the body.
How much dosage of Danti is required for curing different diseases?
There are different recommended dosages of Danti for different diseases. Below are some basic disease and the dosage that is endorsed for them: -
Abdominal or gut health problems
The recommended dosage of Danti powder for the abdominal issues is a 1/4th teaspoon once or twice a day.
Joint Pain and Swelling
½ or one teaspoon Danti root powder should be taken for curing the joint pain and swelling. However, the doctors may recommend more or less dose as per the patients' requirements.
It is advised to apply 1/4th or ½ teaspoon of Danti root powder on the affected area for fistula treatment.
What are the steps to use Danti?
Abdominal or gut health problems
Danti powder is used for curing digestion-related issues. 1/4th of the Danti root powder is taken and mixed with Jaggery. The amount of Jaggery should be twice as much as the Danti powder. The Danti Powder and Jaggery is ingested once every day after having the meal.
Joint Pain, Swelling, Inflammation, or Fistula Treatment
Danti root is ground to make a powder. 1/4th of ½ teaspoon powder is mixed with water or honey. The resulting paste should be applied to the affected area once or twice a day.
What are the ways to store Danti?
Airtight glass containers are appropriate for storing Danti, which should also be kept away from direct sunlight and heat. It is advised to keep the Danti away from the reach of the children.
Can Danti be used to cure rheumatism?
According to Ayurveda, pain and swelling are caused by rheumatism lower with the use of Danti. The major cause of rheumatism is weak digestion leading to the accumulation of a toxic substance in the joints. Danti, with its phenomenal appetizing and digestion properties, which are also known as Deepan and Pachan as per Ayurveda, reduces the toxins in the joints. This results in curing rheumatism.
Modern or novel science claims that Danti seed oil helps in reducing Rheumatoid arthritis. The oil needs to be applied externally on the affected area. The anti-inflammatory properties reduce the chemicals responsible for inflammation. Joint pain and inflammation reduction automatically reduce Rheumatoid arthritis.
What are the different parts of Danti used as medicines?
Danti roots and seeds are majorly used for ailing various diseases. However, it is recommended to clean, dry, and powder the roots before using it.
Does Danti show some benefits in cancer?
Cancer cells are destroyed or killed by the substantial and regular use of Danti. The growth inhibition of cancer cells is done using Danti, preventing the body from cancer.
Is it advisable to consume Danti root or seed powder without Doctors' consultation?
Danti root powder or seed powder should not be consumed without consulting the doctor. The laxative nature of Danti seeds can cause severe stomach problems.
Is Danti harmful to Joints?
Ayurveda's study gives some evidence of disintegration between joints and tissues due to excessive intake as it has some Vikashiguna properties.
Is Danti responsible for diarrhea?
Danti possesses some laxative properties that can cause diarrhea if taken in a large amount.
How much toxic is Danti?
Danti does not hold any toxins or poisonous substances. However, it is advisable to process Danti seeds and roots with Shodhana methodology before ingesting it in the body.
What is the Hydragogueing property of the Danti plant?
The discharge of water from the bowels is referred to as Hydragogue. The release of water, fluids, or serum from the bowel is inhibited by Danti seed oil.
Is Danti helpful to heal the wounds?
Danti is very helpful in wound healing if applied externally with a bandage. The excellent antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory properties of Danti hinder the hemorrhage formation stopping the blood flow. As a result, pus is not formed. Anti-microbial properties also act as a defense system against infections on the wound.
( Disclaimer : The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or ayurvedic doctor. )