Beijing, July 25 (IANS) A second round of Covid-19 nucleic acid test was launched in Nanjing city, capital of China's Jiangsu province, following a resurgence of new confirmed cases.The second round was launched on Saturday in the district of Jiangning, reports Xinhua news agency.In the last 24 hours, the eastern Chinese city reported 12 new locally transmitted Covid-19 cases and four asymptomatic ones, local health authorities said on Saturday.The first round of nucleic acid testing took place on July 21 after 17 airport workers tested positive for Covid-19.The mega-city with a population of more than 9.3 million has classified 10 areas as medium-risk for Covid-19 and implemented closed management.The municipal government has urged residents not to leave the city unless necessary.Anyone leaving the city must produce a negative nucleic acid test certificate issued within 48 hours of their departure.The rule does not apply to transit passengers.--IANSksk/
Beijing, July 22 (IANS) Nanjing, capital of China's Jiangsu province, launched an all-inclusive nucleic acid testing campaign after 17 airport workers tested positive for Covid-19.Medical personnel continued the testing campaign overnight in residential communities, reports Xinhua news agency. Community workers and volunteers have been mobilised to help maintain order as people queue for tests.The mega-city with a population of more than 9.3 million has classified 10 areas as medium-risk for Covid-19 and implemented closed management.The 17 airport workers were tested positive for Covid-19 during a routine nucleic acid testing for airport staff.The municipal government has urged residents not to leave the city unless necessary. Anyone leaving the city must produce a negative nucleic acid test certificate issued within 48 hours of their departure. The rule does not apply to transit passengers.--IANSksk/
Beijing, July 21 (IANS) While scientists across the globe are debating on the need for a third booster jab against Covid-19 and whether the shots can be mixed, China's top disease control official said he has taken three different shots against the infectious disease, the media reported."I was among the first to have a domestically developed Covid-19 vaccine when I got the shot in May last year," the South China Morning Post quoted Gao Fu, head of the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, as saying to state-run magazine Global People. "I have now had three shots that used different technology and were from different manufacturers and I haven't felt any discomfort," Fu added.However, the report did not say why Fu took the third jab, and whether it was part of a study.In April, Fu had called for research into mixing vaccines to try to "resolve the issue that current vaccines don't have very high protection rates", sparking debates on low efficacy of Chinese vaccines. Chinese scientists have been in a game of "cat and mouse" to test the efficacy of existing vaccines against new variants, Fu said. "So far, our vaccines have worked, especially in the face of the Delta strain," Fu was quoted as saying to the magazine."There is a possibility that the coronavirus vaccines will become closer to being like flu vaccines" and that life could go back to normal after "a certain degree" of pandemic control is reached, he said.Chinese drug makers are working on updated versions of their vaccines for more transmissible Covid-19 variants like Delta, the SCMP report said.In June, Sinovac Biotech chairman Yin Weidong last month said early stage human trials had found that antibodies created by its vaccine had "jumped 10 to 20 times" when a third dose was given three or six months.Sinopharm also confirmed developing a new booster shot, in March, but said further studies were needed.Globally, many countries including the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Turkey and Indonesia have been offering third booster shots for people who have received Sinopharm and Sinovac jabs. Israel has rolled out a third shot for vulnerable groups, while Britain has announced plans for booster jabs ahead of winter.Meanwhile, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in a recently released joint statement on vaccine boosters, stated that people who are fully vaccinated are protected from severe illness and death, including from emerging variants such as the highly contagious Delta variant."FDA, CDC, and NIH (National Institutes of Health) are engaged in a science-based, rigorous process to consider whether or when a booster might be necessary," said the statement.--IANSrvt/in
Beijing, July 19 (IANS) Netizens in China have signed an open letter to the World Health Organisation (WHO), demanding it probe the shutdown of the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) at Fort Detrick, Maryland, media reports said.The netizens asked the health body to investigate the US military biological lab to prevent a future epidemic, the Global Times reported on Sunday.The letter comes as China is subject to fresh rounds of scrutiny over alleged leak of SARS-CoV2, the virus causing Covid-19, from the country's infamous Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV).The netizens posted the letter on its WeChat and Weibo platforms on Saturday, which garnered half a million signatures within 24 hours. The open letter particularly noted the Fort Detrick lab, which stores the most deadly and infectious viruses in the world, including Ebola, smallpox, SARS, MERS, and the novel coronavirus. The leak of any of them would cause severe danger to the world, the report said."But this lab has a notorious record on lab security. There have been scandals of anthrax bacterium from the lab being stolen, causing poisoning to many and even death. There has been a leakage incident in the lab in the autumn of 2019 right before the outbreak of the Covid-19 epidemic, however, detailed information had been withheld by the US under excuses of national security," said the letter.The USAMRIID was temporarily shut down in 2019 after a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) inspection. Although this mysterious lab reported the reason for the closure as "ongoing infrastructure issues with wastewater decontamination," the explanation was not persuasive enough."What is more perplexing is that, when China allowed virologists from Western countries and even US mainstream media to visit the Wuhan Institute of Virology, the US has not opened the Fort Detrick lab, let alone shared the original data with countries including China that are independent from US geopolitical influence," the joint letter noted.Further, the netizens stated that the US even purposely neglected and distorted the Chinese people's call to investigate the Fort Detrick lab -- referring to the questions raised in the letter as a "conspiracy theory," and at the same time, used untenable and flawed rumours to attack the WIV, said the open letter.While, the WHO has already made their evaluation about the "Wuhan lab leak theory" during their trip to China, questions remain for other labs over whether the virus was leaked from them, Zeng Guang, former chief epidemiologist of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, was quoted as saying to the Global Times.--IANSrvt/vd
Beijing, July 19 (IANS) China's Yunnan province reported five new locally transmitted Covid-19 cases and five imported ones amid an ongoing resurgence, the local health commission said on Monday.Four of the five local cases were registered in the city of Ruili while the remaining one was from Longchuan County under Dehong Dai and Jingpo Autonomous Prefecture that borders Myanmar, reports Xinhua news agency. All the locally transmitted cases were identified in the mass nucleic acid testings.Three of the imported confirmed cases were from Myanmar between July 3 and 17 while the two others arrived in China from Indonesia on July 16. All of them tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday while under quarantine, according to the commission.The province also reported one imported asymptomatic case.By the end of Sunday, there were 214 confirmed cases in hospitals in Yunnan, including 74 locally transmitted cases. There were also 26 asymptomatic cases, including one locally transmitted.Ruili, which lies along China's border with Myanmar, has been reporting new locally transmitted Covid-19 cases since July 4.--IANSksk/
Beijing, July 15 (IANS) China's Yunnan province reported five new locally transmitted Covid-19 cases and seven imported ones amid an ongoing resurgence, the local health commission said on Thursday.Among the locally transmitted cases, two were identified in nucleic acid testing in Ruili city, while the other three were registered in Longchuan county under Dehong Dai and Jingpo Autonomous Prefecture that borders Myanmar, reports Xinhua news agency.All of the imported cases arrived in Yunnan from Myanmar between June 29 and July 13. They tested positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday while under quarantine, said the commission.The province also reported one imported asymptomatic case.All the infected persons have been sent to designated hospitals for treatment.By the end of Wednesday, there were 171 confirmed cases in hospitals in Yunnan, including 66 locally transmitted cases. There were also 21 asymptomatic cases, including one locally transmitted.Ruili, which lies along China's border with Myanmar, has been reporting new locally transmitted Covid-19 cases since July 4.Since the pandemic originated in Wuhan city of Hubei province in December 2019, China has so far reported 119,428 confirmed coronavirus cases and 5,595 deaths.The country has administered 1,387,086,577 vaccine doses against Covid-19 till date.--IANSksk/
Dear Patron, Please provide additional information to validate your profile and continue to participate in engagement activities and purchase medicine.