Urticaria is raised and itchy rash on skin with pain on the areas such as cheeks ,lips,throat,eyes,hands etc.it is a very common skin disease,it is a very common skin problem if it is acute (for a shorter duration of time.)
In the long run it may lead to a lifetime,severely impairs the quality of life,if it happens lifetime.it is also known as skin allergy or “sheetpitta in ayurveda”
According to ayurveda this is called as aggregation of kapha [water]and vata[air] mainly occurs on exposure to cold air,it also aggravates pitta [fire] which disturbs blood and its tissue due to excess of aggravation of pitta. Clinical appearance of Urticaria is in following manner central swelling of variable size and corners
relaxed,itching,sometimes itching with burning sensation while skin returns to its normal appearance and symptoms diminishes in 24 hours.
Classification of urticaria:
- Spontaneous urticaria:
- acute urticaria -rash less than 6 weeks
- Chronic urticaria -rash more than 6 weeks.
- Physical urticaria:
- Cold urticaria-due to cold water or wind.
- Heat urticaria: due to localised heat.
- Delayed pressure urticaria: due to continuous vertical pressure.
- Solar urticaria: due to UV light.
- cholinergic urticaria: due to raised body temperature
- Contact urticaria: due to contact with allergic agents.
General causes of urticaria:
- Excess intake of sweet and sour food items.
- excessive use of mustard
- Exposure to cold wind or water
- sleep immediately after meal
- Day sleep
- Due to an insect bite
- Contact with poisonous plants or insects
- Suppressing vomiting urge
- Exposing to heat radiation
- Due to continuous pressure on the skin surface vertically for a longer duration of time.
- Due to raised body temperature
- Due to excessive solar exposure due to UV light.
What are the signs and symptoms of urticaria:
In urticaria rash occurs on the face, arms, trunk and legs, characterised by headache, redness, itching, congestion of eyes, as the commonly seen symptoms of urticaria. Sometimes the itching is accompanied by burning and swelling called angioedema appears on areas such as cheeks, lips, hand, genitals, and feet usually.
Preventive measures in urticaria:
- Limit the salt intake and sour food items as it promotes the accumulation of swelling.
- Avoid all the sugary food items as long as symptoms persist.
- Avoid heavy and difficult to digest food items
- Always intake the freshly prepared food and avoid preserved items.
- Include onion and garlic in meal, they have anti-inflammatory action will reduce the allergy
- Use jaggery and honey as an alternative to sugar.
- Avoid suppression of natural urges such as vomiting.
- Perform medication in order to release the psychological stress.
Management of urticaria with home remedies:
- Local application of neem leaves or guduchi leaves in paste form 3-4 times a day for reduction of symptoms of urticaria.
- Aloe vera pulp can also be applied as local application on skin to reduce burning and itching.
- Massage the skin 15 mins before bath,then bathe with lukewarm water.
- Use half a teaspoon black pepper powder with lukewarm water early in the morning to reduce inflammation from the blood.
- Cold compress the area with ice cubes if the cause of it is due to heat.
- Use calamine lotion on skin to give a soothing effect and reduce itching.
- Can use a paste of baking soda on skin because it is an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Avoid the cosmetic products which may irritate the skin.
When to see a doctor??
Generally urticaria heals on its own within 24 hours and symptoms also diminishes gradually but if it persists for more than 6 weeks then it should not be ignored consult a good dermatologist or consult our official website of nirog street for expert advice.
NO, it’s not contagious ,there are many other causes of urticaria mainly it is an immune response activated reaction.
It’s rare,but urticaria may have severe complications of angioedema which is a deeper form of swelling occurring on the face, neck and extremities, causing difficulty in breathing.
NO, you may not need lifetime medicines,chronic urticaria may have an unpredictable course.Sometimes it may recover in months
NO, urticaria can be very effectively treated by the means of ayurvedic blood purification guided under the expert ayurvedic dermatologist and by panchkarma.