Ulcerative colitis formed with two words ulcer means eruption of mucosal wall and colitis stands for colon, so it means ulcers in colon of the large intestine. Passing of stools mixed with blood and pus is the typical symptom of ulcerative colitis. Since the colon holds the stools and close to the anus so the major issues e related to the stools .The various noticeable changes are; recurrent weight loss, restlessness, weakness, weak immune response in long term due to weakness a person may die as well.
In Ayurveda it is called “Rakta Atisara” means diarrhoea with blood. Ayurveda believes that it is due to aggravation of pitta [fire] in the body caused by hot food items and exhibiting heat [producing activities, aggravated pitta disturbs the rakta dhatu [blood tissues], leading to inhibition of blood through stools. It exhibits all the symptoms of blood deficiencies such as weakness, weight loss, paleness, body ache etc.
General causes of ulcerative colitis
usually the major cause behind ulcerative colitis is unknown, but it is believed that overstimulation of the immune system leads to an eruption of the inner lining of the colon.
Risk factors of ulcerative colitis are as follow:
- Genes: Researchers found that there is a specific gene responsible for occurrence of ulcerative colitis, so there is a great significance of genetic factors for ulcerative colitis.
- Immune disorders: Immunocompromised persons are vulnerable to develop a lot of diseases, ulcerative colitis is one of the major risk factors for immunocompromised persons.
- Infections: Infective agents such as bacterias, viruses and antigens mainly responsible to trigger the immune system by their reactions causing the antigen antibody reaction, ulcerative colitis occurs as a result of immune reaction.
- Environmental factors: various allergies or allergic materials such as foods, cigarette, smoking, unhygienic conditions [lack of food and intimate hygiene], disturbed diet and lifestyle triggers the ulcerative colitis.
Types of ulcerative colitis
According to the site of location ulcerative colitis can be of following types:
- Ulcerative Proctitis: it is anal or rectum occupied area or close to anus or rectum, it causes intermittent per rectal bleeding, it is a mild form not a severe one but in some cases may lead to severe ailments like excessive rectal pain, persistant urge to defecate and rectal inflamation.
- Proctosigmoiditis: Inflammation lies at sigmoid colon, the part above rectum, symptoms exhibiting abdominal cramps, blood with diarrhoea as well as pain in ability to pass bowel but continuous bowel urge persists.
- Left sided colitis: There is an inflammation from sigmoid colon or descending colon to rectum, exhibits weight loss, bloody stools, fatigue and left abdominal pain.
- Pancolitis: Also known as universal colitis. Affects the complete colon causing bouts of blood with stools, severe abdominal pain, fever, significant weight loss. It is the most severe condition.
Acute severe ulcerative colitis: This is very rare to find, affecting the entire large intestine characterised by fever, weight loss, bloody diarrhoea, inability to eat.
General symptoms of ulcerative colitis:
The major symptom of ulcerative colitis is diarrhoea, symptoms may vary from person to person depending on severity, such as:
- Diarrhoea with blood
- Abdominal pain
- rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Persistent urge to defecate[to pass stool]
- Sore skin
- Unsatisfactory motions
- Lost stool holding power
In ulcerative colitis the symptoms kept on emerging and diminishing for a period of time unless it gets severe.
Complication of ulcerative colitis
- Thick abdominal wall
- Intestinal bleeding
- Colon rupture
- Hypovolemic shock
- Kidney stones
- Ankylosing Spondylitis, Inflammation of joints between the bones.
When to see a doctor??
Ankylosing spondylitis is a painful and discomfort condition,do not ignore or try any therapy at home without the doctor's consultation,visit our clinic or contact us online at our official website www.nirogstreet.com for expert advice and best treatment.
Management and preventive measures of ulcerative colitis by home remedies:
Ulcerative colitis is a condition which needs to be treated as immediately as possible because it would not be cured by its own or by home remedies, but there are some regimens which will allow the patient to recover fast and prevent persons who are at verge of developing ulcerative colitis.
- Dietary regimen: do not take heavy meals which are difficult to digest such as a very high protein diet i.e Red Meat, take for fibres and salads instead which are easy to digest.
- Lifestyle regimen: maintain an active lifestyle ,by participating in physical activities to boost up the metabolism and promoting the digestive power such as running, cycling, swimming, gyming etc
- Meditation: stress and anxiety are the major causes of disturbed digestion and hampers metabolism, leading to colon overloading and hence ulcerative colitis, so meditation is very essential to prevent or treat ulcerative colitis.
- Omega 3 Fatty acids: These are strong anti-inflammatory agents, reduce inflammation around the colon easily, so it must be included in day to day life for a