Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder where immunity kills its own healthy cells.Here the immunity attacks the lining of the tissue joints from both the sides of body.Since it is autoimmune so the exact cause of it is not known.we can only prevent and manage it be the means of physical therapy,lifestyle management,nutritional therapy and at last surgery.
About Rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease of chronic occurance.It occurs in joints of both the sides so it makes rheumatoid arthritis different from other types of
arthritis,basically it results in inflammation of various parts of limbs and exhibits the symptom of pain at the site of inflammation. The common sites are
Fingers,hands,feet,toes,wrists,ankles,knees etc.Uncontrolled inflammation of joints results in the damage to the cartilages which acts as a natural shock absorber of joints ,so absence of shock absorbent can lead to deformity in joints. As our body and bones deriotes by itself ,it results in protection of joints from continuous irritation.
Specific immune cells initiates this process.A specific substance is secreted in our joints and by blood it is circulated to the entire body and cause symptoms throughout the body such as Eyes, Skin, Mouth, Lungs and Heart
General symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis affects everyone in a different manner and every individual reacts to it in a different manner and exhibits different symptoms. Some progresses to rheumatoid arthritis fast while some respond slower.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis are as follow:
- Pain, swelling, stiffness and tenderness in multiple joints.
- Stiffness,especially in the morning or after prolonged sitting or standing for a long period.
- Pain and stiffness in the same joint of both sides of the body.
- Fatigue: a person feels extremely tired when suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
- Fever: mild fever and heat around the joint is always felt at the site of inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis.
Stages of rheumatoid arthritis
Stage 1: It is an early stage of rheumatoid arthritis,tissue around the joint is inflamed and the patient feels mild pain and stiffness,no change in X ray.
Stage 2: Inflammation starts damaging the cartilages of joints, stiffness and restriction in movement is felt.
Stage 3: Inflammatory process gets severe and starts damaging the bones shows pain,stiffness ,short range of movements.
Stage 4: In this phase the inflammation gets stopped but the joints keep on getting worse. Severe pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of mobility is felt.
Risk factors for developing rheumatoid arthritis:
There are several risk factors for developing rheumatoid arthritis,these risk factors are as follow:
- Family history: Rheumatoid arthritis runs in the family so if you have a family history of rheumatoid arthritis then you are likely to develop Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Sex: Women and people with female child are likely to develop rheumatoi arthritis.
- Smoking: smoking increases the risk for rheumatoid arthritis and worsen the symptoms.
- Obesity: Chances of developing Rheumatoid arthritis increases if you suffer from obesity because it causes more pressure on joints and fastens the process of deterioation.
Diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis
There are specialised doctors in orthopaedics who work specifically on rheumatoid arthritis and are called Rheumatologist.They diagnose the patients deeply on the basis of physical examination, medical history and symptoms. There are few blood tests to diagnose rheumatoid arthritis such as
- ESR [Erythrocyte sedimentation rate} confirms inflammation in joints
- C-reactive protein [CRP]
- RA factor: about 80 percent people positive with RA factor confirms for Rheumatoid factor.
- Magnetic resonance imaging(MRI)
Prevention and management of rheumatoid arthritis
It is very important to diagnose rheumatoid arthritis at an early stage, because as long it will take to diagnose the condition will get worse.
Treatment for rheumatoid arthritis includes lifestyle changes,therapies,medicines and surgery.The treatment is always based on the body type and reqiurements.
Dietary regimen must be followed in such a way that it could prevent the inflammation and slow down the process of inflammation.
Patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis because of obesity must focus to lose weight.
- Use foods with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take raw and lightly cooked food to reduce the process of inflammation.
- Use turmeric and ginger in food.
- Add fruits in daily food habits.
- Add yoghourt to improve the metabolism in body and reduce inflammation.
- Probiotics: Use probiotic supplement in diet such as Yoghourt,garlic,onion and ginger in diet,it acts as an effective treatment for reduction of inflammation and treating rheumatoid arthritis.
- Fish oils:Omega 3 fatty acids acts like a great anti inflammatory agent.It is proven to be a good agent to reduce the rheumatoid arthritis .So it can also be taken in daily routine but only after doctors advice.
- Sleep: Getting enough sleep is an important part of life,but especially it is important in case of rheumatoid arthritis because poor sleep influences the level of pain and movement restriction. Try at least 8 hours of sleep every night.If night sleep is not enough complete the rest in day.
- Exercise: Daily exercise is the great way to empower and strengthen the muscles and free movements from restrictions. Exercises must be chosen in such a way that it doesn’t stress the joints. Brisk walking, swimming and aerobics and resistance training helps to improve the strength of muscles.
- Yoga: Yoga helps to improve fatigue,chronic pain,stress and anxiety .Yoga may also improve Rheumatoid arthritis pain and inflammation.
- Massage: Massage also improves the symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis and also helps in reduction of inflammation but it must be performed under an expert’s advice.
When to see a doctor??
Rheumatoid is a disease associated by hyperactivation of immunity and due to the process of self bone deterioration due to age ,but pain and symptoms associated with it must not be ignored.Contact to your nearest rheumatologist ,visit to our clinic or visit our official website which is www.nirogstreet.com to consult for experts advice.