Multiple sclerosis is a chronic disease that affects the central nervous system , which consists of the brain, spinal cord and optic nerve leading to a wide range of symptoms. Symptoms of multiple sclerosis are unpredictable; they appear to be different for different individuals. Some may experience mild symptoms such as tingling sensation, numbness,blurred vision while others can face severe symptoms such as paralysis, vision loss, mobility problems etc. But it is a rare disease, the exact collection of data of the cases for multiple sclerosis is very difficult to find.
About multiple sclerosis
he exact cause of multiple sclerosis is not known but it is believed and observed that it is an autoimmune disease. An autoimmune disease is a disease of the immune system. Attacks its own healthy cells.
Here in Multiple sclerosis the immune system attacks the myelin sheath, myelin sheath is the covering of nerve fibres which protects the nerve fibres and conducts electrical signals quickly and efficiently.
When the myelin sheath gets damaged, it leaves a scar or sclerosis, so multiple scars found on the myelin sheath are called multiple sclerosis.
They mainly affect the following areas:
- Brain stem
- Spinal cord
- Optic nerves
- Cerebellum which maintains the balance and coordination of movements.
As the number of scars increases the possibility of nerve damage and degeneration also increases. So the conduction of nerve signals gets disturbed and the body becomes unable to perform various functions.
Types of multiple sclerosis and it's stages:
- Clinically Isolated Syndrome: It is defined as the first episode of multiple sclerosis appearing within 24 hours.
- Relapse remitting Multiple Sclerosis: It is the most common form of multiple sclerosis , it includes new and increasing symptoms which reoccur after a period of time.
- Primary progressive multiple sclerosis: here the symptoms get worse without the relapse or recurrence of the previous episode. About 15 percent of the population of Multiple sclerosis suffers from the primary progressive stage.
- Secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: firstly the symptoms relapses then the symptoms get progressively increased.
Signs and symptoms of multiple sclerosis;
As the disease affects the nervous system which controls the entire function of the body. It may interfere Or disturb any part of body or any body function,few common symptoms are as follow:
- Muscular weakness: due to decreased nerve supply, functionality of the muscle also slows down, it results in muscular weakness.
- Numbness or tingling sensation: pricking of needle kind of sensation is commonly felt in multiple sclerosis.
- Bladder issue: people feel loss of control on urinary. Bladder or urine incontinence. It is considered to be an early sign of multiple sclerosis.
- Bowel issue: constipation due to muscular weakness causes the stools intact resulting in bowel incontinence.
- Fatigue: decrease in ability of a person to perform the work of daily routine is constantly to be fatigue, it is a common symptom of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Sexual in ability: It is considered to be a general sign of multiple sclerosis because muscle weakness depress the sexual drive both In male and female.
- Vertigo: issues related to balance and coordination are common due to lesions or disturbances in the cerebellum.
- Vision problems: Vision related issues are very common in multiple sclerosis because of the inflammation in nerve tissues.
- Tremors: Some people may feel jerking and quivering movements due to multiple sclerosis.
Prevention and management of multiple sclerosis by home remedies:
A. Dietary regimen:
- Ashwagandha: Its roots are used for various purposes and it is one of the common drugs of ayurveda. It helps in chronic pain, fatigue, inflammation, stress relief, anxiety. But its dose must be taken as per the doctors advice.
- Ginkgo biloba: It has been used for centuries for improving the memory or grasping capacity of a person.
- Chamomile: it is also a great anti oxidant and used for centuries helps in skin condition,restlessness
,anxiety,stomach problems,gas or diarrhoea. It is proven to be a great source to reduce inflammation in multiple sclerosis.
- Ginger: GInger has been used for centuries in tea and food in india.It has a great potential in reducing the inflammatory process ,it can play a great role in multiple sclerosis for reducing inflammation.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a great spice containing curcuminoids.It has been proven that curcuminoids contain a great amount of anti-inflammatory substance and have a great impact in protecting the nerve tissues.
- Peppermint: It is also a great anti-inflammatory agent, promotes digestive health, treats the nerve and muscle pain, helps in reducing headache and reduces stress so, it can be used in multiple sclerosis.
- Fish oil: Omega 3 fatty acids acts as a great
anti-inflammatory agent It can work greatly in reduction of inflammation in neuronal cells.
B. Lifestyle regimen:
- Exercise: Daily exercise prevents a number of diseases and specially keeps the body active as well as it reduces the chances for autoimmune disorders.
- Meditation: Meditation is a great key to prevent and cure a wide range of mental and psychological problems.
- Massage: head and body massage improves the blood circulation of the tissues,provides strength to the muscle and nerves so,it must be performed according to the expert’s choice.
- Acupuncture: It is a great science ,where needles are used to activate the specific nervous points in the body and for proper functioning of body tissues.
When to see a doctor??
Multiple sclerosis is a serious disease which can even be life threatening as well ,so it must not be ignored person should immediately contact doctor if he faces the above symptoms in very early stage of illness, contact to our clinic or visit to our clinic or visit our official website which is www.nirogstreet.com to consult for experts advice.