Excessive white and sticky material discharge from the vagina is called leucorrhea. This discharge might be a foul odour and stiffens when it dries on cloth. In Ayurveda leucorrhea is known by the name Shwet Pradar, hence swet means white while pradar means discharge. That’s why it is also known as white discharge. A large number of females are facing this problem. The number of patients is more in rural areas than urban areas because of the lack of facilities and unhygienic conditions.
Types of leucorrhoea:
There are mainly two types of leucorrhoea physiology and pathological
- Phsysiological leucorrhea: Common condition where vaginal secretions are in excess such as puberty, ovulatory time, sexual arousal, pregnancy and PMS
- Pathological leucorrhea: Pathological conditions where discharge is seen to be yellow or green with unpleasant odor.
It includes two types:infections and non-infections leucorrhea.
- Infectious leucorrhea: caused due to infection of the reproductive tract such as Chlamydia, trichomonas, gonorrhea etc.
- Non infections leucorrhea: It occurs due to presence of certain foreign bodies like soup, detergent, retained tempoons of herbal preparation.
What factors cause leucorrhea?
- Unhygienic condition of the vagina
- Infection of the genital tract
- Bacterial infection (More common in pregnant women or women with multiple sexual partners): It produces a discharge that is thin and greyish-white in colour. It is usually accompanied by a foul and fishy smell.
- Trichomonas infection: It produces a frothy, yellow-green vaginal discharge with a strong odour.
- It is caused by Candida albicans.
- It produces a white discharge with excessive itching.
- Antibiotic and steroid use.
- Yeast infection
- Douches, scented soaps
Which lab can investigations detect leucorrhea?
- Urine test (routine and microscopic)
- Vaginal smear – showing pathogenesis like Candida and Trichomonas Bacteria.
- Cervical smear- confirming cervicitis and cervical erosion
- PAP test – rules out malignancy
General Management of Leucorrhea
These are some Ayurvedic formulations which will help to control leucorrhea:
- Boil three teaspoons of rice in three cups of water in an open pan. Remove the rice by straining the water and drink the lukewarm water with one teaspoon of sugar.
- Soak one teaspoon of coriander seeds in 1/2 cup of water overnight. Swallow the seeds and drink the water in the morning for one month.
- Pushyanuga Powder
- Pradarantaka Rasa
- Chandraprabha Vati
(Do not start self-medication, Consult your Ayurveda Doctor first taking these medicines)
How to prevent Leucorrhea?
- Take Neem, Turmeric powder and Tankad, boil water and wash your Vagina daily with this water.
- Keep your genital area clean and dry, avoid soap and rinse with water only.
- Avoid douching.
- Always use condoms during coitus to avoid STDs. 5. Wear loose pants and shorts.
- Wear cotton underwear.
- Wash underwear with an Antibiotic solution, and let them dry under the sun.
- Avoid watching pornographic movies and reading pornographic text.
When to see a doctor??
Leucorrhorea is the infection of vagina expressing, white discharge, stickiness and foul smell, it should not be avoided because it may leads to serious problems like PID (Pelvic inflammatory disease), Cervical cancers, uterine fibroids, and infertility, treat it as early as possible, visit to the nearest ayurvedic doctor or contact to our clinic , you can either visit online at www.nirogstreet.com for experts advice and best treatment.