Honey is a natural sweet substance not directly produced from plants but having the properties of plants on which beehive is present. Honey is the most delicious and wholesome natural food rich in carbohydrates.
Honey is called Madhu in Ayurveda. Eight types of honey are described in Ayurveda depending on the type of bee which collects it and Medicinally Makshika is considered the best among them.
Apis mellifera makes the best honey biomedically. Mature honey pacifies all doshas while raw honey aggravates vata, pita and kapha. In the rainy season, honey should be taken regularly.
Uses of Honey
- Honey is used for internal and external applications
- Best for wound healing
- People who cannot swallow powder medicine can be easily given with honey
- Very good for stomatitis, ulcers of the mouth
- Useful in bronchial asthma
- Stops hiccups
- Cough and cold
- Eye diseases
- Used in face packs
- Hair packs
- Beauty treatments
- Worm infestation
- Old honey reduces fat and obesity and is highly significant
- Used for curing Rickets, Marasmus, Malnutrition, scurvy
- Reduces effects of poison
- Very useful in urinary tract disorders, diarrhea and vomiting
- Honey and cow ghee in 40:60 ratio helps in curing chapped lips
- Recommended in the treatment of Prior to operation of cancer
- Onion juice mixed with honey is good for arteriosclerosis
- Honey is also one thing that can be added for safe intake of curd
- Honey with milk is the ideal food for growth in children and adults
- Pure honey is good for diabetics
- Honey is also applied to sore nipples and to swollen mammae for drying up milk.
- Honey is used with lime for headaches, sprains, and abdominal pain for local application.
- Honey with charcoal powder can be used for rubbing over teeth for making them sparkling white.
- The hypnotic action of honey is also studied. If we give this with water to children before sleep, their sleep is sound.
- Honey decreases flatulence.
- Rasanjan and madhu ashchyotan are very good for infective conjunctivitis.
- Honey with cinnamon is good for preventing aging.
- Honey contains flavonoids, so helpful in heart disease.
- Helpful in hyperlipidemia.
- Honey should never be heated or mixed with hot foods.
- Honey should not be taken in the summer season.
- Honey and ghee should never be mixed in equal quantities.
- Honey should not be taken during indigestion.
- Honey should not be taken in excess quantity.
- Hot water should not be taken after honey.