so many times, due to a hectic schedule, sedentary work habits, or sleeping in the wrong posture you have to experience the neck pain. it can indeed be quite bothersome as the pain can further spread to head, forehead, shoulders or arms. there can be various reasons for neck pain but mainly it is due to wrong posture, unhealthy habits, strenuous lifestyle, some injury or any chronic diseases. an injury or a chronic disease is not in our control but the other reasons which comprise about the maximum cases of neck pain can surely be checked. as it is said that prevention is better than cure, it is better to take follow some best practices to avoid the possibility of a neck pain.
here are some health safeguards which can be very effective in preventing a neck pain:
a) in maximum cases of neck pain, the cause of the pain is the wrong posture. hence the most important measure to prevent neck pain is to maintain the right posture. some of the things you can implement in your daily practices are:
- when you sit or stand, the shoulders must be in straight line with the hips and ears should be directly above the shoulders. this ensures that your neck remains straight.
- it is obvious that the due to demand of work, sitting for long hours in front of computer is normal practice, but it should be ensured that the monitor is at eye level so that there is no requirement of bending neck for longer duration. it must be also taken care that a break is taken between the long sitting hours to relax and stretch the neck and shoulders.
- the bending of the neck in between ear and shoulder to speak on the phone while driving or for any other reason should be strictly avoided.
- maintaining the right posture while sleeping is very important, try using a soft small pillow which supports and maintains the natural curve of the neck.
- avoid the strain in neck, doing anything which makes your head bend for longer duration should be avoided.
b) lifestyle exercises are a good way to avoid a neck pain. the exercise should include the neck exercise, stretching, and walking or jogging.
c) healthy eating-eating right is very important for the healthy body. to prevent the neck pain one must avoid the food which can cause an inflammation. for example something too cold, too spicy, too bitter, or too astringent should be avoided. drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated is always recommended. the foods which have calcium, vitamin d, and fibers should be consumed more.
role of ayurveda -- ayurveda has not only cure for any pain or disease but ayurveda also helps in prevention of the pain .for prevention of neck pain, in addition to the right posture, vyayama and eating healthy, ayurveda has various therapies. the therapies such as nithya abhyanga, greeva vasti, pinda sweda and dhara help in relaxing our body, lubricate the tissues and muscles as well as rejuvenate the body. an individual can avail these therapies to prevent the pain.