we have often seen people who are unable to climb the stairs or walk a mile easily or have problem sitting for a long duration. these all people have a common problem, i.e., aching joints. the pain in joints is one of the most known reasons for which people visit the doctors. it is generally a conception that pain in joints is due to increase in age. although this is one of the reasons for joint pains, there are also many other causes of joint pain. understanding joint pain and its treatment is very important otherwise it becomes very tough to lead a ‘painful' life.
causes of joint pain:
the joint pain can be due to any of these three causes; degeneration, inflammation, and injury.
- degeneration - the cartilage lines of bones get worn out, decreasing the space between the bones which causes the friction. this wear and tear can be due to age, deficiency of vitamin d or calcium or lack of exercise.
- inflammation - sometimes the inflammation process of the body goes out of control and the process damages the tissues of the body, thus it becomes the reason for pain.
- injury - any accident or injury which causes harm to any tissues of the joint can be the reason for joint pain.
as per ayurveda, the aching joint is due to aggravated vata and accumulation of ama. the ama circulates in the body and gets deposited in any area. if ama accumulates in joints, its accumulation results in a disease known as amavata which is the reason for joint pains.
symptoms of joint pains:
the people with the joint pain have symptoms such as:
- pain in joints or the body part associated with the joint.
- the pain in joints makes the movement of that joint very difficult or the movement becomes very limited.
- the body part associated with the joint becomes very weak.
- there is tenderness in touching the affected body part.
- the affected area may swell or at times become very stiff.
the people having the joint pain have a tough time dealing with pain; the condition of pain worsens in cold weather. so people have to take painkillers or the related treatment. however, it becomes very challenging to eliminate the pain completely.
ayurveda has many treatments to help the people in not only relieving the pain but also in preventing the reason of recurrence of pain .the ayurvedic treatment is available for any kind of joint pain be it the elbow, hip, wrist, ankle ,foot, and so on. the ayurvedic treatment focuses on the cause of the pain whether it is due to inflammation, injury or degeneration. the person suffering from the pain is given the medicines made from ayurvedic herbs such as guggulu, rasana, and garlic. the person is given various therapies depending upon their condition such as dhanyamladhara, abhyanga, ilakkaizhi, and podikkizhi. the person has to follow the diet and consume the food items which are good for the health and avoid the food items which can elevate the pain.
image reference: source/link