pre-menstrual syndrome, commonly called pms, is a condition that affects thousands of women. it disturbs their emotional and physical health. studies have found that at least 40% women who menstruate have to go through pre-menstrual syndrome. in fact, periods become the most difficult time of the month for many women.
the symptoms of pms are many and usually vary from one woman to another. however, some of the most common symptoms are listed as follows:
- anxiousness or depression
- willingness to cry
- excessive irritability and outbursts of anger
- poor concentration on tasks
- changes in appetite and bowel movements
- cravings for sweet (sometimes salty) foods
- muscular or joint pain
- tenderness of breasts
- bloated abdomen, slight weight gain
- abdominal cramps
- water retention
- social withdrawal or a pessimistic worldview
in general, these symptoms will be experienced about three days to a week prior to menstruation. these symptoms may be accompanied by other symptoms which may be different for different women. in general, these symptoms should be gone when periods begin. however, sometimes irritability, anger etc. may exist till menstruation is over.
the existence of pre-menstrual syndrome could be disturbing. it may wreck a havoc on daily activities as well. for example, feeling pessimistic or depressed and crying because of pms may be harmful to your relationships as well as your work.
here are a few naturopathic remedies and suggestions that you must follow for relief.
- consume a balanced diet. sugar and salt cravings are very common during pms. however, sugar will interfere with insulin. on the other hand, salt may lead to water retention. in both the cases, pms would become more aggressive and cause troubles.
- keep in touch with good friends and people who care for you. if the symptoms get severe and start to interfere with your daily life, visit a naturopath or a therapist for assistance.
- when pms appears, consume buttermilk or chaas. you can also drink dhania water and tender coconut water for their diuretic effects. barely water is also recommended.
- do not exert your mind and body more than necessary. in fact, you should rest more than usual these days for extra comfort. start practicing yoga nidra for relaxation. shavasana will also help in feeling relaxed.
- if headaches are persistent, then you should opt for a facial steam remedy. follow it by a head massage. if the pain still does not subside, then you should immerse your feet in comfortably hot water for a few minutes.
- a warm bath can help relieve nervous tension and may also help you feel relaxed and rejuvenated.
- if insomnia becomes a problem, drink a glass of warm milk before sleep. you can also add honey to the milk.
following the remedies mentioned above will help you feel better during pms and make you healthier and happier. don’t forget to use these remedies and let us know your views.