Dandruff is usually a condition of chronic scalp in which itching and flaking of skin can be seen very oftenly. In serious conditions inflammation of the skin occurs which is also known as seborrhoic dermatitis(in babies this is called as cradle cap). It is not a contagious condition or serious condition but can be embarrassing.
According to Ayurveda, dandruff is caused by imbalanced state of all the three doshas but primary doshas are kapha and vata. This comes under darunaka included under kshudra roga (susruta) and kaphaj roga(vagbhatta).
This can be an irritative disease of the scalp region which leads to shedding of dead tissue from the scalp with itching sensation. Causes can be-oily skin or dry skin with not shampooing enough, yeast , sensitivity to hair care products etc.
- Itchy scalp
- skin flakes on your hairs,scalp,eyebrows,shoulders and mustache
- Red, oily or dry scalp
- Crusty or raw areas on your scalp
- Eyebrow and beard rash
- Scaly facial skin
- Hair loss
- Greasy scalp
WHEN TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR FOR DANDRUFF
- when your condition is not improving
- recurrent dandruff
- severe itching
- severe skin condition
- chronic inflammation
- severe rash of entire scalp
CAUSES AND RISK FACTORS
- Age factor
- Certain illness( eg.- Parkinson’s disease)
- Infrequent shampooing
- Skin disorders
- Head injury
- Hormonal factors
- Mental stress
- Wash your hairs atleast three times a week
- Don’t scratch your scalp while shampooing
- Avoid using chemicals on your scalp.
- Managing stress
- Self care is important , follow these things like using sunscreen to protect your skin, using hair care products that will help in reducing irritation and itching.
- Don’t wash your hair with warm water.
- Don’t scratch your scalp with hands or any other objects.
- Tests are not usually required.
- For confirming a diagnosis of seborrhoeic dermatitis, your doctor will generally examine the redness and colour of scaling on the scalp.
- Skin sample may be taken in suspection of fungal infection.
- Maintain a healthy diet for healthy scalp your
- Maintain hygiene
- Use chemical free shampoos and hair care products.
- Learn to manage mental stress
- Consult dermatologist about suitable scalp and for proper hair care strategy.
- Shampoo often.
- Limit all hair styling products.
- Avoid unclean combs and hair brushes.
- Neem leaves are really effective. You can make paste and can apply to your scalp before washing your hairs.
- Use apple cider vinegar in the place of shampoo by diluting it with equal amount of water to reduce itching.
- Coconut oil mixing with tea tree oil and applying this mixture on scalp and oiling regularly.
- Lemon juice massage
- Curd hair mask to combat dandruff before washing your hairs
- Tablespoon of baking soda in wet hairs on your scalp and wash it off.
- Aloe vera is also a good option, apply the gel directly.
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and apply paste of it.
- Paste of amla powder with tulsi leaves and water, apply it on scalp and wash it off after some time.
WHAT TO AVOID
- Avoid acidic food, excess of salt and avoid meat too.
- Avoid junk foods
- Avoid hot and penetrating foods.
- Avoid stress, anxiety, worries
- Avoid chocolates
- Limit sugar
- Avoid intake of alcohol
WHAT TO EAT
- High nutritive foods.
- Fiber rich foods
- Salads, fruits, lentils.
- Vitamin B sources.
- Green vegetables
- Zink rich foods
- Ginger and garlic
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Q.1What is the cause of dandruff?
Ans.The cause can be oily or dry skin, stress factors, improper diet ,infections(fungal), improper hygiene, use of chemicals, hair styling products etc.
Q.2Can dandruff result in hairfall?
Ans. Not usually but if left untreated, itching and inflammed scalp leads to temporary hair loss.
Q.3 Do I need to go to the doctor?
Ans. Dandruff do not require doctor’s visit but if there is recurrent episodes and you are facing severe inflammation and itching you can consult a doctor.
Q.4 How to get rid of dandruff?
Ans. Chemical free anti dandruff shampoo,home remedies like use of curd hair mask, applying lemon juice , aloevera on your scalp, oiling and proper care will help to get rid of dandruff.
Q.5 What are the complications of dandruff?
Ans. Least chances but the treatment you are using can show adverse reactions and some products can irritate your scalp, just be aware what you are using in your hair care products. Consult your doctor if you have dandruff or seborrhoeic dermatitis and is not improving by medicated shampoos and other things this may leads to patches contains fluid or pus, red extreme painful patches.