Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 24 (IANS) Authorities in Kozhikode district in Kerala were on alert after a boy was found infected with contagious shigella bacteria even as Health Minister KK Shailaja called upon the people to observe caution.
Shailaja, however, maintained that the situation was under control and that the Health Department was geared up to face any eventuality.
The one-and-a-half-years-old child was admitted to a private hospital in Kozhikode. following complaints of acute stomach pain and diarrhoea. Doctors confirmed on Thursday morning that the boy was infected with shigella bacteria that leads to intestinal disease shigellosis.
Kozhikode and other parts of the district were under observation after some cases of shigella were detected there. The district was in the news earlier due to Nipah virus cases.
Kozhikode District Medical Officer Dr V Jayasree, however, said that there was no need to panic and that the Health Department had taken measures to contain the disease.
She though called upon the people to remain vigilant and seek medical attention in case of diarrhoea, which was one of the main symptoms of the disease.
Kozhikode district has in the recent past reported 26 cases of diarrhoea, of which six were traced to shigella.