Jaundice is described as yellowish tinge to the skin and whitening of the eyes. This is depend on the levels of bilirubin which is a waste product or material found in the blood. High levels will appear brown and moderate levels usually leads to yellow color. Jaundice clearly indicates the problems regarding liver or bile duct.
According to Ayurveda, jaundice is known as kamala. In ayurveda this is pittaj nanatmaj vyadhi and rakt pradoshaj vyadhi. Untreated pandu leads to kamla disease, they both are interrelated diseases.
Causes can be any problem in the production of bilirubin in any of the three phases. Due to increased level of bilirubin you may have unconjugated jaundice (caused by collection of clotted blood under the skin). during production of bilirubin cause can be alcohol, autoimmune disorders, viruses(hepatitis A,B,C).After bilirubin is produced cause can be gallbladder inflammation, pancreatic tumor, gallstones and gallbladder cancer. Other causes includes infections, certain medicines, bile duct blockage, liver diseases, blood diseases.
- Yellowish tinge to the skin
- Dark urine
- Whites of the eyes
- Pale stool
- Weight loss
- Pain in abdomen
- Flu like symptoms
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
WHEN TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR FOR JAUNDICE
- Tenderness and abdominal pain
- Vomiting with blood
- Black stool or blood in stool
- Mental function changes like confusion, drowsiness, agitation
CAUSES AND RISK FACTORS
- Bile duct obstruction
- Bile duct inflammation
- Inflammation of the liver
- Hemolytic anemia
- Patient of blood disorders
- Sickle cell anemia
- Blood group incompatibility(infants)
- Alcohol limits
- Manage cholesterol
- Avoid hepatitis infection
- Drink boiled and clean water
- You need to maintain a healthy weight
- Eat fresh food
- Bilirubin tests
- Complete of full blood count
- Hepatitis A B C tests
- Liver function test
- Imaging test
- Blood cultures
- Liver biopsies
- Eat healthy small meals, frequent meals
- Take care of water intake throughout the day or frequent hydration
- Avoid coffee, tea or sugar intake
- No to alcohol
- Maintain weight
- Maintain hygiene
- Exposure to sunlight
- Milder exercise like yoga, walking, cycling
- Exposure to sunlight
- Goat’s milk
- Have a bowl of curd daily
- You can have make juice of boiled tomatoes and have a glass daily
- Make a paste of amla(after boil them) mix with water and honey and have it daily
- Tulsi has hepatoprotective properties, boil leaves of tulsi and have this daily
- Ginger intake in the form of ginger tea
- Green grapes juice and sugarcane juice
- Add 3-4 garlic cloves in your diet
- Take 1tbs of roasted barley seeds powder with one glass of water and honey
- Paste of papaya leaves and obtain the juice, mix half tbs of this juice and 1tbs of honey and drink this mixture
- Exercise daily
- Maintain your weight
WHAT TO AVOID
- Saturated fats, unsaturated fat
- Refined sugar
- Packed foods
- Raw and uncooked fis or shellfish
- Dairy products
WHAT TO EAT
- Herbal teas
- Fruits like mango, banana
- High fiber diet
- Almonds, berries, oatmeal, brown rice, broccoli
- Grapes, avocado, grapefruit, brussel sprouts
- Sugar cane juice
- Radish leaves
- Citrus fruits like lemons, limes
- Tomatoes, ginger, garlic
- Blueberries, spinach
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Q.1) What are the main symptoms of jaundice?
Ans.Main symptoms are change in the color of the skin, pain in abdomem,symptoms like flu, fever, chills, dark color of urine, yellow eyes and in more severe cases this eye color turns into brown or orange, pale stools, vomiting, fatigue.
Q.2) What are the best foods for jaundice?
Ans. Always have fresh foods and boiled water, whole grains, nuts,
Juice of sugarcane and add citrus fruits.
Q.3) How to cure jaundice naturally?
Ans. Maintain weight and hygiene, fiber rich diet , sunlight exposure, exercise and yoga, avoid alcohol and consult doctor is condition is severe.
Q.4) What are the complications of jaundice?
Ans. Complications can be Liver failure, constipation, bleeding, kidney failure, diarrhea, flatulence, anemia, swelling in legs, bloating in abdomen, hepatic coma, haemorrhage, ascitis, fever. In infants dazedness, vomiting, high pitched crying, fever these are some complications of jaundice.
Q.5) How can you prevent jaundice?
Ans.follow some simple steps to prevent jaundice:-
Avoid alcohol completely
Control or maintain your weight
Maintain your physical and mental state, diet with essential nutrients
Q.6) How ayurveda treatment considered effective?
Ans.Effective, Ayurvedic treatments for jaundice will usually aim in pitta imbalance and to eliminate the toxins that is shodhana chikitsa with lifestyle changes and control in diet.