Hyperacidity is the condition, in which the hydrochloric acid is secreted more that the normal amount in the stomach. According to Ayurveda, hyperacidity is termed as amlapitta. It is a condition where increase in amlaguna(sour taste) of pachak pitta(gastric juice) occurs. It is considered as Pitta Kaphapradhana Tridoshaj vyadhi. Mainly it is cause by faulty diet, irregular meals excessive spicy, salty and hot diet, excessive oily, bakery products, use of starch, stress.
- Sour belching
- Chest burn
- Water brash
WHEN TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR FOR HYPERACIDITY DISEASE?
- Facing difficulty/pain in swallowing especially with solid foods/pills.
- Heartburn symptoms - more/severe/frequent
- Heartburn is causing to have nausea/vomiting
- Unexplained weight loss accompanied by heartburn
- Chronic cough, choking sensation/sense of a lump in throat.
- OTC (Over The Counter)- antacid medications for more than two weeks.
- Extreme stomach pain
- Discomfort interferes with lifestyle/daily activities.
- Chest pain accompanied by pain in the neck,jaw, arms, legs, shortness of breath, weakness, irregular use, sweating.
CAUSES AND RISK FACTORS-
- It includes smoking ,eating large and heavy meals specially during bedtime.
- Obesity, overweight.
- Hiatal hernia
- Delayed stomach emptying
- Heavy meal
- After meal lying back/bending over at waist.
- Snacking close to bedtime
- Eating certain foods, such as citrus, tomato, chocolate, onions, spicy foods/fatty foods.
- Drinking certain beverages such as alcohol/carbonated drinks/coffee/tea.
- Taking aspirin, ibuprofen, certain muscle relaxers/ blood pressure medications.
- Have small frequent meals (keeps stomach from stretching & pushing food & acid upward)
- Avoid trigger foods (chocolate, citrus fruits, peppermint, tomato products/fried, fatty or spicy foods, garlic and onions)
- Cut back on alcohol/tea/coffee
- Don’t eat before bedtime.
- Prop up the head of your bed 6 to10 inches(helps gravity keep in stomach away from oesophagus)
- Stop making delayed stomach emptying.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol intake.
- Barium esophagram
- Eosophageal manometry
- PH monitoring
- A biopsy
- PPI trial
- Eat meals at-least 2 to 3 hours before lying down, this will give food time to digest and get out of stomach
- Don’t overeat
- Eat slowly
- Stop smoking
- Avoid alcohol
- Time your meals
- Drink more water
- Beat stress by yoga, meditation & cultivating some hobbies.
- Chew 2-3 tulsi leaves regularly.
- Infusion of - coriander seeds(dhanyak)+sugar = twice a day
- Water obtained from green fruit of coconut 100-150 ml to be taken twice a day
- Powder of amla (3-6 gm) two times in a day with water.
- Powder of saunf + sugar (twice a day).
- Chewing fennel seeds after a food.
- Use of buttermilk
- Jaggery after meal
- Coconut water
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cumin seeds(jeera) use- Ayurvedic medicine recommends cumin seeds.
WHAT TO AVOID?
- Avoid heavy- spicy- sour-hot-too-much oily food.
- Excessive/scanty too early or too late.
- Avoid anxiety, worry, anger, etc.
- Avoid alcohol and acidic foods.
- Avoid aspirin and other NSAIDs.
- Avoid drinking of water- before meal -after meal- night after heavy meal.
- Don’t take anything in b/w meals except liquids.
- Suppression of the natural urges.
WHAT TO EAT?
- Light food/coconut water/articles having cooling properties.
- Vegetables like- (white pumpkin-bitter gourd-leafy vegetables except methi.)
- Wheat- old rice- barley-green gram- sugar candy-cucumber.
- Fruits like gooseberry/dry grapes/black grapes/sweet lime/pomegranate/ fig/dry fig to be included in diet.
- Take adequate amount of Fluids like -pomegranate juice/lemon juice/amla juice/sweet-lime juice/ medicated water with ushir(wala) or coriander seed/ warm water.
- Dadimpak(sweet preparation made of pomegranate)
- Moramla( jam made from amla)
- Gulkand with milk
Apart from these, according to Ayurveda, adequate sleep and rest is also necessary. Practicing Yoga, Pranayam, Meditation and Exercise regularly to be considered in daily routine.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS -
Q.1) What are the best treatments available for acidity?
Ans- The best treatment options available for acidity is the regular intake of safe and effective medications that includes antacids, indigestion drugs. Ayurveda treatment found effective. With that, it also need to improve lifestyle and daily routine.
Q.2) What are the main acidity symptoms considered?
Ans- The major acidity symptoms include-
Heartburn, ulcers in stomach, nausea, constipation
Q.3) How to prevent acidity?
Ans.- There are few precautions which need to be followed if a patient is suffering from the acidity.
The precautions include:
- Having less and frequent meals.
- Regular walking and other physical activities.
- Wear loose clothes- To avoid pressure on the abdomen.
- Reduce the intake of food which may trigger he symptoms of acidity like citrus food, raw onions, milk, salt, chocolates, tea, coffee, alcohol, carbonated beverages, and other tobacco products.
- Reduce / avoid the consumption of spicy / deep fried food items.
Q.4) What are the complications involved with acidity?
Ans.- If the acidity is not treated properly, then it may lead to become more severe and complicated which include-
- Gastric ulcers
- Severe pain in the chest or abdomen fora long duration.
- Difficulties/pain in swallowing the food.
- Other problems related to the digestive system which leads to constipation.
Q.5) How problem of acidity causes in our body and what are its effect?
Ans.-When we feel hungry, our body require energy from food and so our stomach starts secreting an acid called HCL (hydrochloric acid) which is a strong acid. And if we kept empty stomach for long duration , then the secretion of HCL will increase due to which it leads to appear symptoms of acidity like burning sensation, chest pain, indigestion, headache, dizziness, fatigue etc.
Q.6) What is the difference between acidity and hyperacidity?
Ans.- Acidity is a common medical condition that can range in severity from mild to serious while hyperacidity considered more severe form of acidity that may also persist for long duration.
Q.7) What if acidity continue for longer duration?
Ans.- If acidity lasts for long duration, then you need to consult doctor immediate and go for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Q.8) Is heartburn in acidity leads to major heart disease?
Ans.- No,heartburn is very different from heart diseases. It mainly occurs due to increase HCL in stomach and pressure generated on stomach muscles.
Q.9) How to cure acidity naturally?
Ans.- The best way to cure acidity naturally is to have a glass of watermelon juice / coconut water / buttermilk,can take bananas, cucumber, yoghurt in diet. They are also considered instant relievers.
Q.10) Which diagnostic studies are used in the workup of acidity?
Ans.- Some laboratory tests like esophagram, endoscopy, pH monitoring, biopsy are mainly used.
Q.11) How Ayurveda treatment considered effective?
Ans.-Effective because it deals with the elimination of doshas mainly pitta and kapha.It works on the principle of shodhana and shamana in which after elimination of doshas ayurvedic medicines given to the patient including lifestyle improvement guidance's.