It is a very common liver disorder. An essential organ of our body is known as the liver. It helps to breakdown the food which we have and it is also responsible for the removal of toxins from the body. Nowadays liver problems are increasing day by day due to changes in lifestyle, change in eating habits, increase in consumption of alcohol, and excessive intake of medicines. So, here we are giving information about “Jaundice” which is related to the liver. Jaundice is caused by increases in bilirubin, a waste material, in the blood. An inflamed liver or obstructed bile tube can lead to jaundice, as well as other basic conditions. Here you’ll get information about “5 Useful Herbs for the cure of Jaundice in Ayurveda”.
What is Jaundice?
Jaundice is also known as Icterus. It may happen at any age including infants, adults. In dealing with jaundice, the skin turns to yellowish color and the white part of the eye is also turned yellowish. It is due to the results of increased bile pigments and bilirubin in the blood.
Jaundice in View of Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, Jaundice is known as “Kamala”. As Ayurveda says, our body is preserved by three essential energies known as vata, pitta, and kapha. Ayurveda classifies kamala as an apratyaksha(indirect) disease. Disorder in any of the three energies results in a problem in the body. Aggravation of pitta reasons is a liver disturbance. Ayurveda considers the malformation of Ranjak pitta(a subtype of pitta) and amenable for jaundice.
Types of Jaundice
There are four types of Jaundice:
1. Neonatal or Physiological Jaundice(jaundice in newborn babies)- Neonatal jaundice is a normal condition, mainly in babies born before 38 weeks' gestation (premature delivery) and some breast-fed babies. Neonatal jaundice usually happens because a baby's liver is not that much mature to do away with bilirubin in the bloodstream. In some babies, an underlying disease may reason for Neonatal jaundice. To get rid of this disease our liver needs to do proper functioning.
2. Pre-Hepatic or hemolytic Jaundice- In hemolytic Jaundice is caused by a rapid increase in the breakdown and annihilation of the red blood cells (hemolysis), overwhelming the liver's ability to sufficiently remove the increased levels of bilirubin from the blood.
3. Hepatic or Hepatocellular Jaundice- Hepatocellular jaundice happens as an effect of liver disease or injury. Hepatocellular jaundice occurs as a result of hemolysis, or an accelerated breakdown of red blood cells, leading to growth in the production of bilirubin.
4. Obstructive or Post-hepatic or Cholestatic Jaundice- Obstructive Jaundice happens as a result of an obstruction in the bile duct. Obstructive Jaundice fends bilirubin from leaving the liver.
Symptoms of Jaundice
There are various known signs and symptoms of jaundice such as:
1. Haridra netrata(yellowing of the eyes)
3. Haridra-anana(Yellowing of the face)
4. Rakta-pitta shakrit(yellow stools with blood)
6. Bheka varna(a frog-like complexion)
7. Daha(burning sensation)
Causes of Jaundice
Any kind of problem in the liver can cause jaundice.
1. Problem in the proper processing of the bilirubin.
2. Jaundice can also happen when there’s too much bilirubin, a yellow-orange substance active in your blood.
3. Hepatitis - Most of the time, this infection is caused by a virus. It can be short-lived (acute) or chronic, which means it lasts for at least 6 months. Drugs or autoimmune disorders can reason for hepatitis. If it gets extra time, it can damage the liver and lead to jaundice.
4. Alcohol-related liver disease - Alcohol could seriously damage your liver.
5. Blocked Bile Ducts - These are diluted tubes that carry a fluid called bile from the liver and gallbladder to the small intestine. Infrequently, they get blocked by gallstones, cancer, or rare liver problems. If they do, you could have jaundice.
6. Certain Medicines - Drugs like acetaminophen, penicillin, birth control pills, and steroids have been linked to liver disease.
Jaundice Treatment in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, during the preparatory condition of jaundice, usually mild purgatives are given. Jaundice treatment in Ayurveda is the faithful treatment known these days. It can eradicate deeply or from the basics with the best jaundice treatment in India. For jaundice, this naturalistic cure removes all the doshas from the body and maintains the best stage of pitta in the body that helps you to battle with Jaundice. This is to encourage the function of the liver and to rise the flow of bile in the bile duct. Triphala, Trivrit, and Kutaki take for the purpose.
1. Daily take one to “two teaspoons(tsps)” with hot water, if you prefer to take Triphalachoorna, you can take "one tsp" of Triphalachoorna with warm water, twice a day. Two compounds preparations, that are generally used to cure jaundice, are Aarogyavardhinivati and Avipattikarachoorna. However, use them after consulting a physician.
2. Bhoomyaamalaki (Phyllanthus niruri), a miniature herb with promiscuous leaves, is normally used in the cure of all types of jaundice. "One tsp" of the juice of the plant or fresh root in the form of a paste with honey can be taken thrice in a day.
3. Punarnavamandoor should be taken for daily 2 to 3 weeks. NavaayasLoha taken in the amount of 125 mg thrice in a day is an emphatic remedy for Jaundice. Other helpful medicines are Lohaasava, Punarnavaasava, and Kumaaryaasava.
4. Another common medicine that can be work in all types of jaundice is the Bhumyamalaki. This is a small herb that is in short supply. Its juice is given with honey in "a tsp" quantity thrice in a day. Kakamachi, Triphala, and Vasaka are the other drugs used.
5 Useful Herbs for the Cure of Jaundice in Ayurveda
1. Berberis (Berberis vulgaris)- Berberis is a very powerful herb for all kinds of liver ailments, especially in jaundice. So powerful is the herb that it is nominated as 'jaundice berry'. In taste, It is a bitter tonic that must be given to a jaundice patient many times a day in "quarter tsps". The liquid extract of the fruit also has equal properties.
2. Chicory (Chichoriumintybus)- All properties of the chicory plant are helpful in the cure of liver ailments. The flowers, roots, and seeds are the most frequently used. The liquid of the chicory may help in the cure of sluggishness of the liver, obstacle of the flux of bile, and the magnification of the spleen; all of which are associated with jaundice. Chicory can also encourage the healthy secretion of the bile.
3. Hygrophila Spinosa (Gokulakanta)- gokulakanta plant's root is powerful in the cure of liver problems such as hepatitis and jaundice. An infusion of the source of the herb in water is prepared and is given to the patient twice or thrice in a day.
4. Aloevera (Aloe barbadensis)- It is a perfect remedy for liver diseases such as jaundice. For a powerful cure, the pulp of one of its leaves is to be taken with black salt and ginger every morning for a period time of ten days.
5. Turpeth (Operculinaturpethum)- The other optimal Ayurvedic remedy for jaundice is Turpeth. It named nisoth in Ayurveda. The power of this herb is prescribed mixed in hot water 2 times a day.
Ayurvedic Diet Plan for Jaundice
Daily Diet Schedule
Early Morning: Amla-1 only and that need to be cooked / Amla juice 10-15 ml
Breakfast: Dalia / Upma / Besan chila / Sewian / Poha / Idli
Mild-Morning: Sugarcane juice / Sprouts / Coconut water / Wheatgrass juice / Radish juice / Fruit
Lunch: Plain chapatti / Khichri / Boiled rice / Dalia / Vegetable+Dal+Curd / Buttermilk / Veg pulao
Evening: Ginger tea / Green juice / Herbal tea
Pre-dinner: Home-made soup / Sweet rice / Red juice / Green juice
Dinner: Plain chapatti / Boiled Rice / Vegetable+Dal
Are you an Ayurveda doctor? Download our App from Google PlayStore now!
Download NirogStreet App for Ayurveda Doctors. Discuss cases with other doctors, share insights and experiences, read research papers and case studies. Get Free Consultation 9625991603 | 9625991607 | 8595299366
London, Jan 18 (IANS) A student infected with Covid-19 returning home from university for Christmas would, on average, have infected just less than one other household member ...
New Delhi, Jan 18 (IANS) The central government on Monday said two people have died following Covid-19 immunisation, but the death of one of them is not related to the vaccina...
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 18 (IANS) Kerala on Monday reported 3,346 new Covid-19 cases, said state's Health Minister K.K. Shailaja, adding that the test positivity rate now stan...
Gurugram, Jan 18 (IANS) Gurugram reported Co-WIN application glitches in all its 45 vaccine session sites on the second day of the inoculation drive on Monday, resulting in on...